Friday, January 1, 2010

The BIG BUZZ: Don't Call It A Comeback...


The year: 2010
The badass pirate blogcast: PLANET GRIFFIN
To all my NEXT 100 brethren, I welcome you all into the Brave New World! To all my newcomers, I am your host, the Infamous RodBuddah, and tonight, we welcome back the PLANET GRIFFIN WEEKEND EDITION of THE BIG BUZZ--- and what a buzz it is!

Back in March of last year (sounds funny to think of 2009 as last year, don't it?), a CGI promo came out of Japan prompting the geek blog machine to speculate whether the possibility of a live action STARBLAZERS movie was in the works... Considering that it was posted on YouTube, a lot of people, while thinking it was the coolest version of the Space Cruiser Yamato they'd seen yet, wrote it off as another wishful thought (once you see the anime clips intercut with the CGI, you'd write it off too) ... I'll admit, when I first saw it, I lost my mind (from a geek perspective, of course), especially since I was a HUGE fan of the series back in 79' (the first mainstream exposure of anime in this country, outside of Speed Racer fo course)...



Well, imagine the surprise when it turns out that the CGI promo was actually an international teaser for the live action movie. SPACE CRUISER YAMATO makes its debut Christmas 2010! From the clip, it appears that movie will combine the original StarBlazers series (The Quest for Iscandar) with the more popular second season (The Comet Empire) --- Which is fine by me after seeing the incredible visuals. See for yourself:


The YouTube buzz has already begun, the viewer numbers have already doubled since last nights upload, which makes this come-from-nowhere film a nice surprise in the starting gate of 2010! I can take comfort in the knowledge that I'm not the only one having flashbacks of running home from the bus stop, tearing ass into the house by 4:30 just to see if the Yamato will fire the Wave Motion Gun by the end of the show. This is PLANET GRIFFIN and THE BIG BUZZ.

No comments: