Saturday, September 13, 2008

Nemesis Nowadays

From an artists' perspective, there is nothing new under the sun, only different areas in which to view the shine. Everybody knows ( or should know) that in order to build the next level, you must show respect to the foundation which you must inevitably build on--- try building without it, I guarantee you, it will not hold. Long ago, one of my best friends coined a phrase to which, over the years, has become my mantra : Mediocrity is my nemesis.

In today's pop culture- fueled miasma, damn if that enemy hasn't gotten stronger over the years.

But, of course, as I said, nothing new under the sun.

Everybody's whispering about it... Some are talking openly about it ( i.e., Robert Kirkman's video editorial on CBR)... And, of course, some of us are doing something about it. The Next Movement is about to begin, and HOT DAMN if it's not looking good!

I know I may sound like a broken record on this issue, but I'm gonna keep ranting about it until I get it right ( heh...) Until we all do. Notice how quiet the western front seems to be as of late?
Always that way once the summer con season dies down. We haven't had a major kick in the ass since the emergence of IMAGE in the early 90's. To those creators that feel me, you can feel it too... The slow boil. I mentioned in an earlier entry about how the International art scene is booming continuously: New creators with new styles! Old creators who never repeat themselves! No one fools themselves into thinking " I will recreate Superman", because there is no need to.... Their answer to this was easy:

Honor Siegel & Shuster by creating NEW worlds.

( Don't believe me? Think about how many people how many 'creations' were 'inspired' by 'Big Daddy' Eisner--- but this is all academic.)

So WAKE UP PEOPLE!!! Time to put our thinking caps on and gather our instruments of war for a new battle--- a battle I will fight eternal---

The Monster known as Mediocrity.

No comments: