Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Big Buzz: Animalistic Alter-Ego Anti-Hero... JEKYLL!


















































Back to broadcasting depth, PLANET GRIFFIN returns to the stage with THE BIG BUZZ! Tonight, we take a look at one of the most innovative interpretations of Robert Louis Stevenson's The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde ever seen!

JEKYLL

The British BBC miniseries introduces us to Tom Jackman (the incredible James Nesbitt), a descendant of Stevenson's science hero who struggles to survive alongside his animalistic alter ego. Hyde is everything that Dr. Jekyll is not... So when Hyde discovers that Jekyll is married with two children, you can pratically FEEL the tension ratchet up! To further add to the current state of complicated affairs is the shadowy organization that's hot on the heels of our Alter-ego antihero to learn the secret of his transformation to utilize for their own ends. You see, the return of Hyde is NO accident... And in order for Dr. Jekyll and his family to survive, Jekyll must make a deal with his own devil!

What makes this series stand out above previous incarnations of the character is that Nesbitt uses no prostethetics nor CGI to portray the monstrous id- driven Jackman... And if you thought the late Heath Ledger's performance of The Joker was a sight to see, wait until you see Nesbitt's SAME performance of the character a mere 2 years earlier!
A great stylish mix of X-Files conspiracy fiction, Hammer style horror-thriller, and a far better action oriented version of NBC's rip-off, My Own Worst Enemy, JEKYLL is a great science fiction miniseries that's just recently been rediscovered for the American audience. Written by DOCTOR WHO's Steven Moffat (no stranger to kick-ass sci-fi storytelling), it's no surprise that this series will be touring the cult underground circuit for LONG while!

PLANET GRIFFIN definitely gives the show a HUGE thumbs up as part of THE BIG BUZZ!



4 comments:

Jay Potts said...

I like the twist of his alter-ego having a family on the side. That's pretty inspired. However, I don't need to see that face leering at me first thing in the morning, before I've finished my coffee. Give a brother some warning, next time.

Brian Miller said...

Man that cover is striking. I love it.

Hey btw, I've been meaning to ask you: you said a while back that you're drawing your pages at 11x17. What measurements are you using for bleed, trim, etc? I've been wracking my brain trying to figure the technical stuff out and there doesn't seem to be a lot of helpful information readily available.

The Infamous RodBuddah said...

When I came across the first images of Nesbitt in character, I was taken aback as well... I think the marketing images are genius! You gotta admit, the images DO grab your attention, don't they Jay?

Good to have you back in the atmosphere, Brian! I've been doing a half to 3 quarters of an inch along the sides and 1 inch for the top and bottom--- someone once told me that for an 11x17, you'd have a 10x15 field of space... That seemed a little tight, so I played with the bleed edges thru trial and error. My print outputs seem to come out just fine, but I'm not concrete on the tech-spec aspect either.

Brian Miller said...

Thanks man, glad to be back (kind of). Still tryin to figure out life with the new addition to our home - I have a whole new respect for Fathers who are still able to manage being a part of this game.

Thanks for the tech info - I talked with a guy at my work who has published a number of comics and he said pretty much the same thing. 11x17 ruled down to 10x15. Off I go!